LOCALITY AS RELIQUARY INSTALLATION SHRINE: 9/20/12-9/27/12
PUBLIC TRADING EVENTS: Thursday 9/20/12 & Thursday 9/27/12, from 5-8 pm
Everyone with a skill, service, or goods to trade is invited to participate.
All transactions for barter/trade only, no currency allowed. No pre-registration required.
Participants will join a select group of featured traders for an evening of festive conversation and fellowship. For those without trade-ables in hand, a Community Board of Alternative Exchange will be posted to register for potential trades/exchange in the future. Trading Post events are family-friendly social happenings and we welcome traders and “window shoppers” alike!
POP! Organizers, Maria Calderon and Lacey Wozny will curate a group of Featured Traders that includes local DIY-ers, artisans and makers whose work and skills will comprise the installation portion of the TRADING POST. Featured traders include: Flannery Cashill, Kris Devlin, Jenny Garcia, Sienna Jobe, Natasha Karsk, Zachary Manos/Manos Chocolates, Charlie Mylie, Jessica Rogers/CartWheel, Sarah Vandersall, and more!
The Locality as Reliquary shrine will stand-in for the live trading floor in the gallery during the interim week. The gallery is open during regular hours to view the shrine or to stage informal trades within the space. Fall 2012 UMKC Gallery Hours: Mondays: 1-4 pm; Tuesdays: 11-4 pm; Wednesdays 12-5 pm; Thursdays: 11 am -7pm; Fridays: 9 am – 3pm.
Examples of Items ripe for the POP! Trading Post may include …
EDIBLES: Baked goods, canned goods, artisanal foods & drinks (non-alcoholic)
WEARABLES: Handmade clothing, bags, accessories; jewelry, beads; crystals/stones
USABLES: Antiques/found objects, tools, linens; Handmade books, journals, paper
MUSE-ABLES: Drawings, Prints, ceramics, pottery and other easily portable artworks
GROOMABLES: Perfumes, lotions, soaps, essential oil blends, candles, etc.
Examples of Services/Skills fitting for the POP! Trading Post may include …
HEALING, SPIRITUAL, PHYSICAL, PSYCHIC, CAREER/PROFESSIONAL:
Shamanic healing; energy work; massage; acupuncture; hydrotherapy; psychic readings; personal training; hair styling; tailoring; carpentry; graphic design; web development; landscaping; etc.
ALL Traders are responsible for their barters. All transactions are barter or trade ONLY–NO CURRENCIES ALLOWED. All traders will negotiate each trade and assess its exchange value on an individual basis. Traders MUST BE PRESENT for exchange.
POP! Trading Post’s BASIC RULES OF TRADING:
- LIST THOSE INGREDIENTS: Mandatory due to allergy risks.
- NO REGISTRATION NECESSARY: Just come!!!!
- WE LUV RECIPES: Providing recipes optional, but encouraged.
- DON’T BYOB: Sorry, but NO home brew/alcohol at POP! Trading Post allowed.
- BRING YER YOUNGIN’S: Kids welcome & encouraged to help making/trading!
- CAST YER NETS: Biz cards, handbills, brochures are helpful, but not necessary.
- FREE SAMPLES: Food items, lotions, drinks, etc. are highly encouraged!
- WALK IT OUT YONDER: Commuting by bike or on foot is encouraged! Carpool!
- TRADE ONCE, TRADE AGAIN: Trades may be re-traded, with discretion.
- SORRY: No returns or refunds for unsatisfactory trades. POP! organizers and the UMKC Gallery of Art are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
The intention of POP! is to build community and fellowship through visual demonstrations, skill and resource sharing, performances and temporary installations, that engage directly with the public in public spaces. POP! calls for participation from community members of all ages, demographics and occupations and activates underused pubic spaces.